Wednesday 13 March 2013

Evaluation: Question 7 - Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?


As you can see my front cover for the Preliminary task has changed drastically compared to my Music Magazine, the college front cover looks very untidy and there is a lot of unused space, i have now learnt how to keep the text inside of the margins with the rest of the coverlines to make them look neat and organized.

The models photo on my college magazine doesn't look professional enough at all because it was taken on a digital camera which doesn't give the best results when taking photos for a magazine whereas for my music magazine, I used an SLR camera to take my photos, which makes the photos clearer to see. The models photo was taken in front of a brick wall so it was very hard for me to remove the background on photoshop and the lighting on the photo looks no where near professional looking. On my music magazine, however, the models photo is clearer and it was much more easier to remove the background behind the model because i used a white sheet to take my photos, which made the models outline look smooth and normal looking whereas on my college magazine the lines were crooked and look abnormal.

The clothing for my college cover looked too simple unorganized, my music magazines clothing looked tidy and formal, also the hair and make-up made her look like an actual pop artist, I noticed while research pop magazines that celebrities always looked perfect on magazines. The font i used for my college magazine was too basic and i only changed the size a few times just by stretching it instead of doing the better and easier way by just typing in a number for the size of font that i wanted. My music magazines font looks so much better compared to the other front cover because it's more eye-catching for the readers, it is in a range of different sizes but not in a ridiculous way, I used capitol letters to make the font and coverlines look shocking for the reader, so when they read it they'll know that the article is going to be interesting to read.

Masthead on the college cover looked very unusual and I don't think the font was a good choice either, for my music magazine I wanted to make the Masthead stand out so I used a similar font like the 'Top of the Pops' magazine and coloured it purple, I also let my model wear a purple cardigan for my front cover because I thought it would make the model and the masthead stand out to the readers.


Again you can see that my contents pages have also changed a lot, my college contents page looked more like a leaflet than a contents page because I only used one column  a few photos a there wasn't a lot of information whereas in my music contents page it definitely dos look like a music magazine contents page after researching other music magazines. I used two columns instead of one and i even made them transparent so that the readers can still see the model posing, I didn't use a lot of photos like i did with the other contents page as I thought it would look too much and not look like a proper magazine.

The 'Features' and 'Exclusive' column is easy to read because I used black, bold font and also put the sub-headings in capital letters to make them stand out and readable, whereas in the other contents page I used a mixture of colours which made it hard to read and it just looked plain.The photos I took for my college contents page don't look as professional like the music contents page because I took them at random moments where the models were't really expecting it took make the contents page realistic instead of making them pose, and they are dressed too casually but my music magazine contents page photos do look more professional and better because of the SLR camera that I used and also styling her hair & make-up helped to make the contents page look like a real music magazine. 


No comments:

Post a Comment